Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Things I like now...

... that I unconditionally did not like as a kid, in no particular order:

V8. Two servings of vegetables per day in a pop-top can is somehow a delightful proposition at my current phase of life. I've also discovered that I genuinely like the taste -- Grey Goose and Tobasco notwithstanding.

Nap time. Enough said. Really.


Jalepeños. I especially find delight in pepper jack cheese, anything chipotle, and -- as a very recent discovery -- jalepeño bologna. As is likely obvious, my palate is not refined or picky, and, apparently, neither is my digestive track.

Brown. Since my truly formative years were basically the 1970s, I must admit that I used to be quite bitter and a bit nauseous about the color brown. As I was growing up, the world was bathed in brown and/or harvest gold -- from cars, polyester pant suits, and wood paneling to kitchen appliances, shag carpeting, and couches with brown and gold floral patterns. Bleee-eck. These memories conjur up horrible notions -- the likes of which jalepeño bologna never could.

So relieved was I to leave the oppressive darkness of '70s that I entirely embraced the cooler teals and peaches of the '80s; the southwestern trend of my pubescent years was a refreshing shift. Today, of course, 1980s design is about as appealing as cheap, motel art, and our current decade's design authorities  -- aka HGTV -- are morphing the old chocolate brown into warm, cozy cappuccino colors. They are matching brown with hot pink and even torquoise, and, suddenly, I'm loving brown. Loving. It.

Just, please... No harvest gold. Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment