Thursday, August 25, 2011

Jesus -- & other things -- in my heart!

In the last week, I have had about 439 ideas for blog posts, but, somewhere between the conception of the ideas and actually sitting down to type them, the ideas evaporate. Poof. My mind becomes a vacuum – a void of anything entertaining or witty. Instead, I am filled with the minutia of the first week of school: Which days do the boys need lunches made? Who is picking up whom and where? What should a kid wear to school when it’s 105 degrees outside but freezing in his classroom? Have we even picked up the mail this week?

I could go on, but you likely get the point.



I did type my self-evaluation today for my job at church. It was a new and wonderful experience – and a bit odd to include prayer and intense personal growth an important issue to review. Here’s one paragraph I included:

My ability to accept people as God has made them or grown them has become far healthier. Perhaps this skill improves when a person spends time with children: Kids have an amazing ability to accept everyone at face value, and children are not effective at hiding their own flaws. Such transparency grows acceptance and blessing, and it has done that for me.  At times, we all have to struggle to find an extra bit of Jesus in our hearts to love certain people, and, today, I know that this particular struggle for me is less demanding than ever before.  I know that we all are flawed, but still intensely and innately loveable.

In truth, the vernacular here was totally stolen. I have a friend who says of certain people, “I just don’t have enough Jesus in me for him/her.” It usually cracks me up, but somehow I missed that tone here. Maybe a good thing considering the audience. Maybe. Maybe not.

Without clear segue or transition, here are a few things I’m in love with today, in no particular order…

·        My Nook Color J. Total love and abandon here. Total.
·        Cool Brew Tea by Celestial Seasons + Liquid Stevia = a low-carb, fairly healthy version of paradise.
·        RSVP RT, ball-point pens. It’s the little things really.
·        My elder son who literally charts – Yes, on paper! – the contestants on reality TV shows.
·        My younger son who rarely agrees to write even his own name.
·        Pink. Enough said.

Next week will be the second week of school and the first days of September. Perhaps the promise of fall will inspire my blogging juices to flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment